8/30/10

dvd run down

So there's some movies that I have gotten a while ago but for some reason haven't written anything about.

To start off I got Vanishing point a while ago, has to be over a month now. I found this movie to be rather enjoyable. It is a story about Kowalski who is transporting a car from Denver to San Francisco. He gets stoned from time to time and through most of the movie he is being chased by cops. shortly into the movie you get the feeling he really doesn't give a crap if he makes it or not. The music is great and Kowalski ends up talking to a magical guy through the radio. The radio DJ tell him the polices locations and where not to go. If you like just straight up joy rides check this movie out. For a 105min film I doubt Kowalski is even out of the car for more then 30mins during the film.

Now I watched this movie about 3 days ago. I was shocked to find this movie at future shop. They also have James Cameron's Piranha 2 but I didn't pick it up yet. I wanted to watch this movie because I think that you should always watch the original film before watching the remake. So with that you can tell that this film was made over 30 years ago. There are some plot holes and dumb scenes. When the piranhas attack it's pretty lack luster. Most of the attacks are what looks like a hunk of meat being attacked. My DVD is the Roger Corman version and has a wicked cover of a chick in a red swimsuit trying to reach the surface of the water while Piranhas try to eat her, It came with both covers. If you like old school horror films which I do check this movie out its rather enjoyable.

I also got the Ring on DVD which the film is not bad. But the main thing is that I found the sound effects like jump scare sounds are louder then them talking which I HATE! Reason is I turn it up to hear what the hell is going on and then they close a door and I jump 5 feet into the air screaming like a girl. Was the door scary no not really, which then makes all the other scares or jump scares meaningless. So I couldn't really enjoy the movie because of random sounds that kept exploding my sound system. The movie is about a women watching a tape and then getting a call telling her she will die in 7 days.

So when this movie came out I wanted to watch it because I thought the cover looked cool. A while latter I learned that this movie was dumb as hell also I watched a tiny bit of it on TV but something better came on so I never watched all of it. So I found it for really cheep I think $4 and wanted to see for myself and... ya this movie is crap. You end up not caring for anyone in this movie. There was only one person that I wanted to live and that was Thomas Jane because I liked him in punisher. I thought the part where all the animals are running to be cool not knowing what I was about to see. But when that worm thing showed up I thought okay this can be okay and then it just feel off a cliff...right when I saw the alien I thought really...that's it I was expecting a thing ripe off.

Back in the day horror films actually went for atmosphere rather then just having the sound that is so loud it makes you jump do all the work. I tend to look at films like TCM, Halloween, even Friday the 13th. Now I am not saying all jump scares are bad but a cat meowing shouldn't scare anyone or a dog barking. One thing that pissed me off about the new Friday the 13th remake was the dog scene. When the main character is standing at the door seeing if anyone is there all of a sudden a dog barks and attacks the door. So what the main character didn't hear the pissed of dog coming at him till he was already attacking the door?

I will say that everyone should check out Guillermo Del Toro don't be afraid of the dark movie it is looking really good (watch the trailer). Also make sure you keep tabs on Frankenstein which is another movie hes working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment