8/30/10

Chungking Express #453

So something last week I watched Chungking Express which is about two different stories around love and relationships. The tends to not give anyone a real name actually it seems they only gave the women names like May and Faye. The main characters are Cop 223 and may in story 1 and Cop 663 and Faye in story two.

The first story is about a cop called cop 223 and his girlfriend May who broke up with him on April 1st. Thinking at first it was a joke which he realizes it wasn't. He ends up buying a can of pineapple everyday with the expiration date on each can being May 1st his birthday. In the end he will either be rejoined with his love or that his relationship will have expired forever. While that is going on the story also follows a blond women that is trying to make her way in the drug world.

The second story which is my favorite and seems to be the main story. Follows Cop 663 who is also dealing with a breakup, this time with a flight attendant. On his lunch break he eats at a local snack bar where we met Faye who secretly falls for him. On cop 663's day off his Ex shows up at the snack bar wanting to give him a letter. Cop 663 not being there she gives the letter to the snack bar asking they give it to cop 663. Inside the letter Faye finds a set of keys to his apartment which leads to her breaking in to redecorate and "improve" his living situation.

When I went into watching this movie I forgot is was a Criterion film and was shocked for a split second that I had to read, missing the first few lines. I liked the first story even though I felt that it was there just to pad the movie out for the second story. making the movie 102mins long.

I really liked the second story though and would suggest watching this movie just for that story alone. Faye played by Faye Wong (I wonder if the same name is for a reason) who is just outstanding. You can't help but want them to get together. I found the parts where Faye is in cop 663's apartment to be outstanding. I found it so enjoyable seeing her try to make his life better. This music in this movie is great. I would actually buy the soundtrack to this movie and I tend to not like buying movie soundtracks. Faye Wong's cover of the song Dreams is just beautiful and addictive.

The special features are as follows:
*Commentary with Asian cinema critic Tony Rayns
*1996 episode of the British television series moving pictures featuring interviews with Wong and cinematographer Christopher Doyle
*U.S. theatrical trailer
*PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Amy Taubin. Which the book is 6 pages.

There I finally wrote this now it is time to watch... REVANCHE!

No comments:

Post a Comment