8/19/10

Walkabout #10

So last night I watched another one of the Criterion's I got. I enjoyed this film not one of my favorites though. I just didn't fully understand it. Going in I thought this was a kids adventure film which looking back on the film I feel stupid now. The movie starts off with the two kids (older sisters and a little boy) walking home then they are in a car driving into the middle of no where to have a picnic. When they stop the little boy gets out and runs around playing with his toys, the sister sets up the picnic. Out of no where you hear a shot fired camera shows you that its the father trying to kill his daughter and his son. The two kids fun and hide behind a rock and that father grabs a gas can lights the car on fire and shoots himself in the head. From there the two of them venture into the wilderness. Now I have no idea why the father tried to kill them and why they run off and not just stick to the road they came on?

Latter on they show a research team with a group of guys and one women and they are all swarming over the one women showing that they only have one thought on there mind. I am not sure what it is trying to show but I am sure it is showing what we think are "savages" are actually in fact not and the research team are the savages looking at the one women as a object.

It's hard to talk about this film I found because there isn't much talking in this film. it just shows there adventure and they really don't do much. Other then that I don't know what to say. Thinking back on the movie I am actually surprised by how little amount of stuff that actually goes on during the movie. truthfully I had to go to wikipedia to read the plot on a few parts like the starting because I thought I had missed something.

On Blu-Ray this film has a really clean picture, there are some really grainy shots like when the hunters shot the animals but other then that the long distance shots of the sand hills are really nice. On the back of the DVD they mention that silent films aren't dead and that this film proves that. So if that sounds interesting to you check this film out. I would actually say having not seen a silent film fully yet that this would be a good film to work your way into the silent film genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment