8/18/10

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas #175


First off I have to say that this Criterion DVD has to be my favorite DVD cover/ slipcover design that I own so far in the collection. I also have to say the trailer for this movie is outstanding. It really shows that making a good trailer is huge for a movie. The trailer is what made me pick this movie over any other criterion. Now for the movie it's self, I love this movie and I had never seen it before last night. I really liked Johnny Depp in this movie and Benicio Del Toro who I also really like. I watched Brazil (another Terry Gilliam film) a while ago and didn't really care for it to much way to strange for me (I want to watch it over again). I was always worried this would be the same but Depp and Del Toro performances in this movie just makes you love this movie. The only thing I am mad about is that I never saw this movie earlier. It was put out in 1998 and its taken 12 years to watch it. This is going to be one of my favorite movies I have seen so far. It was just a blast to watch and I will be watching it again this week.

Watching this movie I keep thinking that there was going to be a drug over dose scene or something that would get really depressing but it never did to me. I never thought I would love this film as much as I do. I was scared that I wasn't going to like it. I actually like this film so much I might get the bluray version as well but only if the picture is worth it.

One thing I found which just made me love this movie even more is towards the end when Johnny Depp is in the hotel trying to figure what happened last night. He enters the bedroom with the hole in the bed and if you look at the door there is a black and white picture of Che Guevara which is a character  Benicio Del Toro played in the movie CHE which came out in 2008.

On the DVD you get
Disc one:
*Three commentary tracks by Terry Gilliam, Depp and Del Toro, producer Laila Nabulsi and author Hunter S. Thompson
*Deleted Scenes with commentary by Terry Gilliam
Disc two:
*Collection of storyboards and production designs
*Stills gallery
*A selection of Hunter S. Thompson correspondence, Read on camera by Johnny Depp
*Hunter Goes to Hollywood, a short documentary video by filmmaker Wayne Ewing
*A look at the controversy over the screenwriting credit
*Trailers
*Rare materials on Oscar Zeta Acosta, the inspiration for Dr. Gonzo
*Collection of original artwork by illustrator Ralph Steadman
*Excerpt from 1996 Fear and Loathing audio CD with Maury Chaykin, Jim Jarmusch, and Harry Deam Stanton
*Fear and loathing on the road to Hollywood: A 1978 BBC documentary with Thompson and Steadman
*Plus: A booklet Featuring an essay by critic J.Hoberman and two pieces by Thompson

If you are wanting to buy this movie get this DVD version of the film. It comes with a wicked DVD case, tons of special features (three commentary tracks) and its a criterion film. Plus the picture and audio is top notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment