6/24/10

8½ Criterion #140

I have no idea what to think of this movie. I went into it expecting something completely different then what I ended up getting. I really liked the main character Guido. I got completely lost half way through the movie meaning I need to watch it again. A huge problem I had, was its a black and white film which doesn't bother me what so ever but the problem is it's mostly white. Heres the problem its in italian with english subtitles. I found it at time impossible to read the subtitles fast enough when they are on top of a white background. I may just be me I am a slow reader but white on top of white is just mean. I wish that Criterion would have an option to make the subtitles yellow or white with a black outline so they stand out. The women in this movie are really beautiful especially the one he's cheating on his wife with.
The story is about Guido a Director that is starting the production of his latest film. The problem is he has no desire to make this film. So everyone is trying to get the film going while he is really stuck in a place he does not want to be in. Even tho its a comedy I only laughed a few times. I was entertained. It is just when he would day-dream I would get lost having not been able to read fast enough. Should this be in the Criterion collection yes it is a great example of film making.

No comments:

Post a Comment